Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Urk in Progress

I have this yarn that came with a bunch of others in a bag from the thrift store. 2 balls worth and it's been lurking in my shash for years now. Its called Bernat Galaxy (thankfully discontinued) and it looks like something an animal yucked up. I'm scrolling through Ravelry (what would I do without you?) for project ideas and a lot of people agreed with me. Its not that soft, it has clumps of ..stuff cropping up every so often that makes for a pain in the keister if you stick a needle in the middle of it, and did I mention it looks like upchuck? See for yourself, not my picture but its the same colourway:

Does that not look like something you'd step on in the middle of the night?


Anyways, the other projects all included scarves, shawls, hats, slippers, even a few sweaters (one for a disgruntled looking cat). Only one was in my colourway and yep, it still looked awful. Some of the others looked better, like a lint trap after drying a load of clown costumes. But I was stuck with my vomit. I refused to give up on it, that would have been admitting defeat and I'm pig headed sometimes. I tried blending it with anything I could and it just made it worse. So I'm going with basic black. So far? Not too bad, although grey might work better. I'm using Bernat Softee Chunky (yes, only a bulky with a super bulky but hush you) as my alternate yarn to tone down the heave tastic shading. I figured there are others with an odd ball or two hidden deep within their stash depths just waiting for the chance to get them used and out the door (preferably with some unsuspecting giftee) so I'll be posting it as soon as its finished. Obviously you can substitute a non icky yarn in place of that affront to a decent brand, but then it wouldnt be an Urk would it? Maybe we can call pretty ones Ack instead. I'll test a better one to compare. Please excuse all the terms for regurgitation in this post, I couldnt resist.

No comments:

Post a Comment