Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Belt Mug Holder (or Mug Frog)

In my last post, I babbled about ALL THE THINGS I was going to make for my costume. It is now Wednesday, we leave Sunday morning. I managed to complete TWO THINGS!! Ok, one doesnt really count because it was a pre made item, but I still did something to it!. But here we are primarily discussing my mug holder, or mug frog. Started out like this: 
sometimes breakfast gets interrupted by brainstorming

I was testing out my frog material with Patons SWS and Noro Silk Garden. One because I knew it felted like a dream, the second because I liked the colour and I had some to use up. After some back and forth, frogging and erasing, I finally got it all together. Felted, only the Patons worked out. Not discouraged, I stitched and played around with both, and completed my objective! The Noro went to another needed accessory (photo at the bottom).

You will need:
  • less than a full ball of feltable heavy worsted wool. I used Patons SWS which is discontinued, but if you can get your hands on a suitable substitute (or a wool you are comfortable with). The Patons website suggests using Classic Wool Roving.
  • size 10 straight needles (gage really isn't important)
  • one button (your preference for size
  • heavy sewing thread or embroidery floss
  • needle that can handle the above mentioned thread and felted material
  • something for your loop, I used a piece of yarn. you could braid yarn, floss, hemp, whatever you like
Please note that a few of the pictures include the Noro attempt. I didn't take any of just the Patons, and didn't think to until after I had already stitched it up. Ignore the brightness please :)


Cast on 8 stitches and work in garter for approx 7". Bind off. Weave in ends, felt. 
pre felting


I tossed mine into the washer (in a pillowcase) on a hot cycle with towels, and it felted to just the right size. If you are a bit more nervous about sizing, felt however you prefer and keep checking. It does have a slight bit of "give" after it comes out, I gave mine a few stretches to make sure it would be right.

post felting

Now is where your sewing begins. Fold over about 2" of your strip of felt, and stitch it down to create your loop. Don't be fussy about your stitching skills, nobody is going to get close enough to notice if you match the thread :)
        

Once you have that nice and secure, attach your button (after you make sure your needle will fit through. I didn't and had to find another needle). Keep it loose, you'll need to make a shank.

 

Knot that off after you are done with the shank, and trim your ends.

Now for your loop closure. I used a length of the Patons yarn. Use whatever your preference is. Thread your needle (or if you are using something heavier, a snip in the felted fabric and a crochet hook to pull it through would work), and stab through to the other side.

Check to see how long you need your loop, too long and it will lay flat instead of holding it up all jaunty.

Knot off your loop and trim the ends.


Tadah! You now have a mug frog!


testing it out

Now in case any of you are wondering about the Noro strip, I managed to use it on my kindle cozy as a temp belt loop:


 Looks horrid, but nobody will see this anyways. Temp stitching but it will hold :)

I would love to see all of yours! Please share photos and projects :D











No comments:

Post a Comment