Monday, February 21, 2011

Basic Dishrag

My mother and I have made so many of these, we don't even need a pattern anymore. A friend of my grandmothers used to make these and by studying her's we figured out how to make them. Her arthritis had gotten to the point where she couldnt make them anymore and had lost the pattern herself.

  • Size 8 straight needles (short lengths work fine, theres a bit of a squeeze at the middle but if you don't leave them hanging for long your fine)
  • G/7 Crochet hook (for crochet cast on)
  • Peaches and Cream 100% cotton yarn
OR
  • Lily Sugar 'n Cream 100% cotton yarn
I use solid balls because the ombre's (while pretty) tend to only give me one and a half dishcloths, the solids I can get 2. The cones are a great way to go too.

Using your hook, crochet cast on 4 stitches.
Row 1: Knit 2, yo, knit to the end
Rep row one till you have 44 stitches on your needle. Start decreasing:
Dec row: Knit 1, k2tog, yo, k2tog, knit to end of row
Repeat this decrease row until you have 4 stitches left on your needle, bind off (I use the hook again, makes it nice and snug) weave in those pesky ends and tada! house warming gift for all, but be careful you who give this to. I made the mistake of handing these out with some towels one year for christmas and now I get pestered for these constantly! :)




By the way, you will find this pattern on Ravelry, but I'm not the one who posted it. I'm posting it here for anyone who doesn't have an account and simply because I can :) Please let me know if you have any problems!

No comments:

Post a Comment